Wine Tasting Responsibly
We hope you enjoy your visit to beautiful Temecula Valley Wine Country. To make your experience safe and enjoyable, we recommend the following guidelines.
- Eat a hearty breakfast before starting your day. We will supply you with plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated.
- Take your time when tasting each wine. If you do not want to finish the rest of a wine, buckets are provided for dumping. Do not feel that you need to sample every wine offered – taste what appeals to you.
- We normally visit four wineries in one day, allowing you to learn something about each winery and sample around 24 wines – without your palette experiencing “taster’s fatigue.”
- Stay overnight to make the most of your visit. From a charming bed and breakfast among the vineyards to a vibrant five-star casino resort, there are a wide variety of accommodations to choose from.
Wine Tasting Tips
Wine tasting can seem intimidating, but it’s really just a relaxing way to spend the day discovering liquid treasures crafted by passionate local vintners.
- One wine tasting includes between 5 and 6 wines starting with lighter white wines through reds and finally dessert wines.
- Wineries can offer up to twenty wines. Most provide tasting notes describing their wines to help you distinguish different flavors and aromas. Making notes about each wine helps you decide which ones to bring home.
- It is a good idea to rinse your glass and cleanse your palette throughout the tasting, but not always necessary after every wine.
- Leave the perfume and cologne at home. Besides ruining your palette, it can ruin the palette and experience of those around you.
It is custom to give a 20% gratuity when your expectations are met from the service you receive either by your wine steward, production tour guide, or wine tour driver. Unsatisfactory service for any reason does not warrant a gratuity, so please never feel as though tipping is an obligation.
- Wine Steward – Wine tastings cost between $15-$20, so a $3 gratuity is ideal
- Production Tour Guide – Wine Production Tours cost $25 and VIP tours cost $40, so $5 and $8 gratuities are ideal.
- Wine Tour Driver – Our drivers are passionate about sharing wine country with you and providing the best wine tasting experience possible.
- They work hard to earn your appreciation and are grateful upon receiving gratuities which reflect the price of the tour you have chosen.